This is probably one of my favorite no carb meals. It is super rich and satisfying. I make this all the time. Sometimes my kids don’t want spaghetti squash so I’ll make a side pasta with vegetable sauté and ricotta. I like giving options because what is in my cupboard is always changing.
Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Vegetables and Cashew Ricotta
(Makes 4 servings)
1 large spaghetti squash
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 -5 tomatoes, diced
1 TBS of dried oregano
8oz of fresh mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 LB of fresh spinach or kale
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean and dry produce.
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds with fork; discard seeds.
- Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper.
- Place both halves of spaghetti squash on a baking sheet with cut sides down.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until tender.
- While squash cooks, sauté veggies and make Cashew Ricotta
- Heat drizzle of olive oil in sauté pan at medium-high heat. Add onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes & oregano. Cook for 7 minutes. (if using kale, add the kale before the tomatoes).
- Fold in spinach. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add vegetable mixture to half of spaghetti squash. Top with Cashew Ricotta.
Cashew Ricotta – Can last in fridge for a week. Great with everything especially avocado toast)
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
2 TBS lemon (or 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar)
1 TBS nutritional yeast (found at health food stores or Amazon)
1 clove of garlic
optional herbs or pepper
- Soak cashews in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Drain cashews. Add to blender and add 2 TBS of lemon juice or 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar, 1TBS of nutritional yeast, 1 tsp of salt, 1 clove of garlic.
- Blend until smooth
- Adjust taste as needed by adding lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or salt to bring out the flavors