This recipe is a local favorite in Hawaii called Chow Fun.
I have obviously veganized this and made it a little bit healthier as this dish doesn’t often have a lot of vegetables and is usually served with beef or ground meat.
I made this in the middle of the week when I was short on time and also low on food. My fridge was pretty empty and I didn’t want to run to the store. So I used what I had and my family was super happy!
Bonus…my kids were full and there were left overs.
Left overs are a miracle in our home with a 16 year old son. So I was stoked to have lunch for them the next day & they were happy to have it!
1 block of drained tofu
Quarter tofu and marinade for 1-2 hours
4tbs soy sauce
3tbs rice vinegar
1tbs maple syrup
1tsp sesame oil
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ginger powder
Once tofu is marinated, slice into sticks and air fry
15 min on 400 degrees
Chop the following veggies and set aside
16 oz wide rice noodles
4 tbsp avocado oil (divided)
8 green onions split in half in 11/2” pieces
3” piece of ginger finely sliced in match sticks
1 chili Serrano or jalapeños (depending on spice tolerance)
1 large shallot or 1/2 red onion
1 cup sliced cabbage
3 carrots grated
4 sticks of celery sliced
Dark greens like spinach or kale
Red or yellow bell Peppers
3tbs shaoxing wine or mirin
8 tbsp soy sauce (I use Bragg liquid amino)
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt & white pepper to taste
- Boil a pan of water Turn off heat
- Place rice noodles in hot water and break up noodles stuck together
- Get a bowl of ice water ready
- Leave the noodles in hot water for 5 min and the drain place noodles is ice water to stop from cooking
- In hot wok add tbsp of oil, cabbage, carrots, & celery toss and wilt 5-7 min
- Set aside
- Add your 3 tbsp oil to wok, add green onions, ginger, & chili to flavor oil fry for about a minute
- Add shallot or onion (I used 1/2 a red onion because it’s what I had)
- Stir fry 3 minutes
- Add noodles to pan and pour wine around edge of wok and toss with noodles
- Add sauce to noodles and toss
- Turn off heat and toss wilted veg with noodles and add tofu.